Tuesday 23 February 2010

OUGD203 Briefing Introduction

The next brief I am to be working on is a live collaborative brief. We are going to be a body of work to be submitted on presentation boards to the YCN (Young Creative Network) whom are holding a series of competition briefs for various clientele, including Google, P&O, and other well known brands. A great opportunity to possibly win something but also produce a fantastic portfolio piece.
But who to work with? In previous partnerships I have worked with Hannah Jackson whom with I get on really well and still do today, but what if there is a better partner? As an exercise over the course of an hour we were to produce some advertisements for ourselves to not only to show and promote ourselves but we had to also create an advertisement for our perfect partner. So with a good 45 minutes work and a 15 minutes dinner (I don't think I'll ever get used to those dinner breaks) I produced two very similar in appearance but I thought would stand out from the competition.


After creating our master pieces we displayed them and had to respond to three adverts by placing a post-it on them. Given there were over 40 you had to be selective, very selective. In my chosen criteria I was looking for someone who wanted to make decisions, seize the day, have a good sense of layout qualities, have some skills on the computer and be interested in print-based media as well of course being fun and loving a good cosy dinner break.
I chose Tim whom has fluent skills in software, was interested in gorgeous layout and was a rounded designer, I thought I could bring him some skills in conceptual thinking, use of craft and image making. He also seemed much of a team leader which is one of the qualities that Iam looking for.
I also chose Ian based upon his interests and reputation as both a good illustrator and layout qualities, I chose Ian also because of what he was looking for in terms if creative traits, in particular of "Image making through less illustrative means".
I also chose Hannah again based upon previous experience and what she was looking for. I wanted a team player and someone whom would allow me to work with them and work in such a way that I wouldn't feel undermined by my partner whom would intervene rather than let me get on with what I wanted to do, a more relaxed way of working if you will. She also wanted someone to organise her and someone to get her motivated and help sustain her working practice, she also has a keen interest in typography and from previous experience a practice that centered around paper-craft, eco materials and packaging. I chose Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment