Sunday 22 November 2009

Whilst looking at print processes for the current briefs this came a bit late on practicing but I looked at embossing and de-bossing as part of the 16 page publication design. The process relies on creating a die, two embossing plates that mesh together. As part of my ongoing exploration I asked down in the print rooms how such an effect could be achieved, having used a cuttlebug embossing machine before I was sure that it would involve pressing a plate through a heinenberg press (I think that is what they are called). Basically I would have to create a die-plate first in order to make something, I was told using the laser cutter to cut stencils of type and such would when pressed through the plates, create the embossed effect. Unfortunately the laser cutter at college is not available to graphic design students... so I went elsewhere. Back when I did my GCSE's I did some laser cutting work at the South Leeds City Learning Centre and I worked with a woman called Anna Clapham, whom I called up and asked for a favour.
The result was some laser cut type which unfortunately I dont have the time to test before ht module hand-in but I thought it was worth while putting the pictures up as the type is lovely to look at anyway. I also tried working with a plastic material but being plastic it melt with heat and so some of the type did not cme out very well, these pieces in 3mm MDF however are loely just to play with. I intend to try and emboss with them after the module hand-in, just to se what I can actually get out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment