Saturday 7 November 2009

After Finding out my initial research and defining my "What is Good?" I had to pitch my concept about how I was going to Package and Promote Overhearing to my fellow peers and tutors. The crit was fantastic, my idea was highly thought of and it seemed from the feedback inspite of a nervy introduction my concept was clear and without being too cliche "Good".
There were several things that were commented on:
1. Encourage conversation? or Promote Overhearing?
The message I was trying to communicate was slightly confusing, some thought that I was trying to communicate conversation by means of quotations on media and such. The way I intend for this proposal to work is indirect. The quotes themselves are taken from overhearings, the way it promotes is though creating conversation and a talking point, which fuels indirectly overhearing, which creates a continuous cycle.
2. Stock Choice?
I've been thinking something in an eco material, ideally with a rough kind of grain to it. But having now settled with a client for this brief I would like their input aswell.
3. Content - Will the content be generic? Is the content appropriate for the target audience?
The content of the quotes is not fueled by myself, it comes directly from the audience, it is in effect/or should be a content that is appropriate for the audience. I have had thoughts about how I could change the visuals monthly much like a retail shop would, this would help as it keeps the coffee house up-to date, which could be more enticing for the customers having a change of visuals when they come in. Alternatively I could just create generic visuals that can be used all year round, not specificaly related to any seasonal events such as the x-factor.
4. Cost?
I intend to look at how much material consumption a coffee house takes by using my client and from there I can work out pricing. I also would like to talk to justin burns and the enterprise and innovation expert Bridget about how much I should charge for my time.
5. Subtlety - Do you want people to notice the content straight away?
Yes, these quotations are not only part of the visual brand but essentially need to stand out in order to create conversation to which overhearing can take place. Having them in a subtle manner would mean they are not seen, being subtle would be more in the way of the eavesdropping which is about looking with intent for something which is not what I am trying to achieve.

There were also a couple of comments about the media I was going to use, printed napkins and cupholders were particular favourites but what was also mentioned about heat sensitive inks and how if they were used on stirrers they could react to hot drinks to reveal messages. Overall it was a very constructive and supportive crit.
In terms of how the project has evolved, I gave in my presentation a run down of how I got to where I am at the minute. First the generic lists and spider diagrams of which allowed me to indentify a particular subject matter, in both groups and by myself.
This led to eavesdropping and from here I researched mostly through the internet about the subject. Looking at information such as cctv, reality televsion, photography, Audio recording, google earth etc but what I found what I was doing was searching and it almost seemed perverse. I therefore slightly altered what I was doing to Overhearing. This research led to a small quantitive survey which revealed that people do overhear and are likely to divulge information to others and lots of audio recordings aswell as quotations from them.
The Presentation was successful and most people liked the concept and the information I was working with.
To Package & Promote my initial ideas were varied but I needed to put overhearing with something. Initial ideas were about printing the quotation on something to communicate and persuade people to overhear, these ranged from looking at Penguin biscuit jokes, fortune cookies, eggs, envelopes and sugar packets. but there lacked purpose and more importantly Indeed a context to put these in. I had an initial idea in mind that was inspired by Bridget Marsh who was asking for artwork for some coffee houses whom she knew of. The context of the Coffee House.
Overhearing in context with coffee houses became entertainment and more importantly it was useful, in particular for sparking conversations which I realized created a cycle of events. People in conversation is overheard which creates conversation which is then overheard again, this cycle promotes overhearing as it passes from one person to the next.
So I began some contextual research, looking in particular at articles used in coffee houses such as cups and general stationary media. In particular I looked at limited colour pallets and packaging where a visual style had been created and almost an identity was apparent. What was particularly inspiring was some illustrated cup I found, personally I would be intrigued and want to purchase items from this coffee house. which also led to how the campaign visual would profit the coffee house, as said before it could create an enticing view which could attract new customers, from there some interior visuals would create more of an impact, customers would be more likely to spend and purchase more items as they may stay longer and come more often, increasing the coffee house IPC.
Having established a good context for the visuals to sit I have begun designing, looking at where visuals could be placed and what they take form in. Handmade text has always appealed to myself and I think I could create some beautiful illustrations alongside to really make and interesting visual style. These will ultimately be digitally printed through various print processes and such and I have been looking at adding colour to the visuals as well. The next stage in my design development is to start drawing and experiment with layouts, I also would like to see if the client approves of this kind of visual style and one important thing to remember throughout, I am promoting Overhearing is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment